In river Dalälven there are walleye, grayling and lake trout. In all lakes around Husbyringen there are bream, pike, perch and burbot. There are trout and whitefish in Edsken and Grycken and walleye in Amungen. You can buy fishing licenses and equipment in Stjärnsund kiosk.
There are opportunities to try hunting and fishing in the area between Garpenberg and Stjärnsund. You can also hire a private lake with fishing arrangements for groups or companies. www.njfc.se.
Husby northern fishing area
The fishing area includes the lakes Kalven, Edsken, Fullen, Grycken, Skysslingen, St Skällningen, Stora Ässjön and Lilla Ässjön, Hällsjön, Hålen, Bysjön, Lången, Hålnan and Rällningen.
There are information boards at Långshyttan, Stjärnsund, Silfhytteå, and Edskens camping.
Pike, perch, bream and burbot in all lakes. Trout and whitefish in Edsken, Fullen and Grycken. Walleye has been planted in Bysjön, Grycken and Lången.
Daily fishing license 50 SEK (family license), weekly license 100 SEK (family license). Full year license 300 SEK (per person). Family license means that family members may fish together (not separately). Allowed fishing methods/tools are fishing pole, casting rod (max two per person), ice angling (max 15 tools).
Youth below 18 years fish for free with fishing pole, casting rod or jig rod. Additional license for whitefish fishing, 200 SEK (allowed from September 15 until December 31 with two normal fishing nets (a full year license is required).
Trolling: a maximum of three fish per day is allowed when trolling for pike, walleye and trout.
Minimum measures are 50 cm for walleye and 40 cm for trout. Smaller fish should be put back alive in the water. Furthermore it is forbidden to
- fish in small river or streams within the area
- catch crayfish
- use pike scissor traps (gäddsax)
- use baitfish from lakes/waters other than those within the area.
Buy your fishing license
Fishing license is sold at:
- Hedemora Tourist Office, (phone +46 (0)225-343 48).
- Loppis Långshyttan (phone +46 (0)225-609 99).
- Stjärnsund kiosk (phone +46(0)225-800 80).
- Tourist Office in Hofors (phone +46(0)290-280 02).
- Edskens Camping (phone +46(0)290-22043).
- Mack och Fritid Torsåker (+46(0)290-402 40).
Two rowboats with 3 hp motors.
Stjärnsund kiosk, (phone +46(0)225-800 80).
There are boat launches at Gustafsnäsviken in Långshyttan, the bathing place in Stjärnsund and Silfhytteå, and Edskens Camping.
Husby-Hedemora fishery conservation area
The Husby-Hedemora fishery conservation area is also active within Husbyringen.
Husby-Hedemora fishery conservation area has, within its boundaries, 250 kilometers of river Dalälven, and about 20 big and small lakes in closeness to the rover or in the forests. The area includes the Hovran area around lake Hovran.
In the area there is plenty of pike, perch and walleye for fishing, both from a boat and from land.
All information needed can be found at website: www.husby-hedemorafvo.se, where you also can buy fishing licenses directly.
For more information: Chairman Johan Backlin +46 (0)225-230 50.
At Kronoparken Flinsberget there are hiking trails and picnic areas. There are signs with information about forests and nature.
For children there is a certain path, the “Faderuttanstigen”, where the youngest can be taught about forests and nature in a playful way.
Other hiking trails:
- Geological Path
- Queen Kristina’s Path
At Pråmleden you can easily bike, but the terrain is more suitable for mountain bikes. Here you find fantastic trails for biking, canoeing, boats and hiking.
You travel in the surroundings of Pråmledens lakes, the nature and cultural trails of Husbyringen, and the historical environments of Järnriket (the Kingdom of Iron). Visit mines, blast furnaces and ancient cultivation environments.
Take a bike ride along winding roads dating back to the Middle Ages. Enjoy the lovely farming landscape, the tranquility in the forests and the whizzing from the past… Bikes, canoes, boats, electric motors and fishing equipment can be rented in the Stjärnsund kiosk.
Close to the Gudsberga cloister ruin and on the land of the mansion of Kloster, there is a cowshed or a stable that strongly resembles a church. The building was restored in the 1980s and was furnished as a museum. In order to preserve the architecture, the designer Sven-Olof Gudmunds traced the exhibitions on glass boards along the walls.
The stories of the cloister, the powder works, the iron works, Gustaf de Laval and the old dealers’ association are told here.
The entrance is run by self-service.
Opening hours: May – September Daily at 10.00-18.00.
The fast-flowing waters of the River Klosterån led to the foundation of smelting houses for iron and copper as far back as the fifteenth century. The place was called Riddarhyttan, but it was given the name Kloster (“Monastery”) after a Cistercian abbey that was completed in 1486. The foundations of the abbey church can still be seen today. In the mid-sixteenth century the abbey was closed and the smelting houses and hammers were taken over by mine-owners.
Besides iron, they also produced gunpowder, and from the mideighteenth century this was the site of Sweden’s biggest gunpowder mill. At the start of the nineteenth century, operations were expanded to include a plate rolling mill. This was Sweden’s most modern rolling mill, and Kloster gradually became a successful ironworks.
Poor communications and recessions led to the closure of the works in the late nineteenth century. The Kloster Ironworks Museum, housed in the old stables, tells more about the history of the ironworks. One chilly winter’s day in 1841, Carl Westerholm, a spry, observant farmhand, was looking for ore in an old “mine croft” belonging to the village of Hienshyttan. With the aid of a borrowed mine compass a stretch of ore 700 m long was ringed in.
The discovery was crucial for the continued development of Långshyttan as an ironworks, securing the supply of iron ore.
Silent and peaceful, on the shore of Lake Grycken, stands “the white ironworks”, Stjärnsund, perhaps the best-preserved eighteenth-century ironworks in Dalarna.
Stjärnsund was founded by “the father of Swedish engineering”, Christopher Polhem, and his partner, Gabriel Stierncrona. In 1700 they had been granted a charter to construct a factory, one of the first in Sweden, to manufacture “objects of general utility”, based on the conveyor-belt principle. The factory also produced two items called after Polhem, a cardan joint and a lock. The lock was a predecessor of today’s safety lock. The famous Stiernsund clocks, constructed according to Polhem’s 300-year-old mechanical principle, are still being manufactured in Stjärnsund.
Much of the ironworks was destroyed by a fire in 1737, but it was rebuilt on a north–south axis in keeping with French ideals. The large mansion (1779) has several eighteenth-century interiors that are worth seeing. The newly renovated forge, one of the few surviving industrial buildings in Stjärnsund, now has a popular function as a venue for theatrical and musical events. The Polhem Museum tells the story of the life and work of the great inventor in Stjärnsund.
“I, Stierncrona with capital, and I, Polhammar with intelligence and understanding, have decided to build a manufactory.” This, tradition has it, was the start of the agreement that laid the foundation for Stjärnsund ironworks.
In the old rectory down by the river, lies the Polhem Museum.
Christopher Polhem’s forge and workshops were located only a stone’s throw away from here. The manufacturing of clocks has its history told around here. There are models from his mechanical alphabet , polhem’s locks, and various objects that were manufactured at the factory.
The museum is run by Stiftelsen Husbyringen (The Husbyringen Foundation) and is open daily during summer. Just nearby the museum you find the clock workshop, where they still manufacture Stiernsunds clocks.
Who was Christopher Polhem?
Christopher Polhammar was born on the island of Gotland in the year 1661 and left the island when he was young. His talent was discovered early and some regarded him as some kind of magician.
As a student in Uppsasa he succeeded to mend the medieval art clockwork in the cathedral. This achievement became known to the king, Karl XI, who sent for him to show his works. The king became impressed and gave him a reward and an annual pension of 500 daler in silver coins. He became the Directeur of the “Bergsmechaniken” in the year 1698 and in 1700 he became “Konststmästare” (Art Master) at Stora Kopparberget in Falun. He was knighted in 1716 and received the name Polhem. The idea of the manufacturing work in Stjärnsund was born in a journey in Europe.
Together with Gabriel Stiernkrona he found the place for a manufacturing in 1699 at Sund in Husby parish. A large facility was built here, which had 200 employees in 1734. Here, a variety of items were manufactured, like kitchen tools, mangles, saws, jacks and auxiliary machinery for various kinds of handicraft. Also clockwork manufacturing began early here. In 1735 Polhem moved from Stjärnsund.
Polhem was engaged in different activities all over the country. Sluices at Trollhättan, dry dock, channels, dams, elevator gears and pole walks of different kinds around in Bergslagen. Christopher Polhem died in 1751, almost 90 years old.
Opening in summer 2023
The Museum is open from June 24 – August 6th, 12:00-16.00. From August 7th only reservations.
Monday is closed.
Entrance fee: 50 kr/person. Children under 12 year enter for free.
Phone: 0046- 0225-801 31
Work on the park began in 1799. It was modelled on the picturesque English countryside, with a blurred boundary between cultivated park and natural landscape.
The River Sörboån was dammed, canals and ponds were dug. Islands were joined by arched white bridges, and completely new parkscapes and water landscapes were designed. The park had secret garden passages, outdoor altars, a trinity well, a summerhouse, sculptures, and a skittle alley. Natural romanticism was in vogue.
In summer the park is open to visitors. Leave everyday concerns behind and savour the silence. Carpe diem – Seize the day!
At the end of the seventeenth century a silver smelting house was built beside the waterfall, which gave the place its name, Silvhytteå. In the eighteenth century Silvhytteå was a complete ironworks with a smelting house, roasting kiln, ore yard, office, forge, and stables.
At the end of 1872 a sluice gate was built to facilitate transport between the lakes. It still works today. The ironworks was closed at the end of the nineteenth century. Most of the buildings have been demolished. Silvhytteå is now a popular destination for outings, appreciated for its industrial history and its beautiful, peaceful location.
Rällingsberg consists of four mines which are beautifully located and surprisingly open, in the middle of a sloping arable landscape.
When the mine was at its biggest, roughly a hundred men and women worked here. All that remains today is the dynamite store, mine house, engine house, ore separating house, and a transformer station.
The area also preserves the ruins of the ore dressing plant and an extensive transport system with canals, railway, and ropeway. The mine was closed in 1932.
Husby Parish is one of the oldest farming districts in Dalarna.
In the early Middle Ages it became an administrative centre for southern Dalarna, governed from the two royal manors of Husby and Näs. The people of Husby knew how to produce iron at an early stage, and tradition has it that this is the oldest mining district in Sweden, going far back into pagan times. The name comes from husaby, a term for an estate which served as a centre for the royal administration, one of the personal properties of the king who ruled at Uppsala.
Husby was the northernmost of all the king’s manors. It was at the manor of Husby that the Laws of Dalarna were written in the thirteenth century, and the charter for the Falun mine was written here in 1347. Smedby, one of the oldest places in Dalarna, was for a long time the centre of Husby Parish, with a church, courthouse, inn, parish hall, and bank.
Husby Church was given its present form in 1779 – 82, when the earlier medieval church was extended. In the church there are several objects from the fifteenth century and a particularly beautiful collection of old church textiles.
The natural waterfall in the River Långshytteströmmen and the plentiful flow provided good conditions for iron production as early as the fifteenth century. The ore was brought from mines in Bispberg and Garpenberg. In the mid-eighteenth century the mine-owners built a timbered smelting house.
In 1861 it was replaced by a splendid new smelting house, the biggest in Sweden in terms of size and capacity. Both smelting houses still stand today. Of the ironworks that Husby Parish once boasted, only Långshyttan survives today.
Production now consists of stainless steel and high-speed steel. Lakes Fullen and Grycken, eternally linked by a pouring waterfall, occupy a central place in Silvhytteå. Reflected on the surface of the water are the ruins of the timbered smelting house built by Stjärnsund ironworks in 1787. Here and there you can see stout pillars built of slag, which once supported a large coalhouse. In the background is a roasting kiln, built of greenshimmering slag brick.
March: Gränsträffen (“the border meeting”). The year begins with “The boarder meeting” in Silfhytteå. It is a get-together for Hedemora and Hofors municipalities. Everyone can come to Silfhytteå and enjoy activities like skiing, skating, scooter-riding, sledding, ice-fishing and grilling. It does not cost anything. The only thing needed is to be in a good winter mood!
June: midsummer celebration. Husby hembygdsgård (Husby Homestead). Summer swimming school in Långshyttan and Stjärnsund. Information: www.hedemora.se
June – July: Summer market-places in Stjärnsund. Every Saturday
there is a market-place at the pond in Stjärnsund.
September: “Pråmledstrampen”. The cycling arrangement “
Pråmledstrampen” is arranged for the fifth time. Starts are in
Långshyttan, Stjärnsund and Hofors. The cycling trail extends
for 30 kilometers and is a cooperative arrangement between
the municipalities of Hofors and Hedermora. In Silfhytteå all participants will be gathered.
September: Harvest market.